How do you select your campervans / What are the requirements?

We are looking for beautiful, unique, handmade conversions. Naturally this means that each one will be different but just being different isn't quite enough. To be a Quirky Campervan it needs to be well thought-through, beautiful and finished to a high standard. If you have a conversion and are not sure have a look at our blog on quirkifying your campervan

DVLA - Motorcaravan

As a minimum, it will need to meet the DVLA's requirements for reclassification (click link for detailed explanation of these). It is recommended but not required to change body type on the V5 log book with DVLA from panel van to motor caravan.

Since 2019 the DVLA have been refusing many self build conversions. This is not a problem if your conversion meets the list of internal features required by the DVLA. The insurance company we use has stated categorically that they have no issue covering Quirky Campers listed campervans irrespective of the V5 classification even if the reclassification of body type has been refused. 


Some special features you may want to consider to attract additional customers:

  • More than 3 belted seats
  • Beds for 4 adults
  • A baby/child's bed
  • Heating
  • Shower
  • Solar panels


Unlike other agencies we want to ensure we maintain occupancy for all the vans listed with us so you can be confident it will be worth your while. This means that in some locations we are not looking for new vehicles unless they are outstanding. See below desirability from our experience:

  • Scotland - very high especially Edinburgh
  • North East - high
  • North West - high
  • Yorkshire & Humber - very high
  • West Midlands - medium
  • East Midlands - medium
  • East of England - medium
  • South East - very high especially London
  • South West - low (Cornwall or Bristol very low)
  • North Wales - high
  • Mid & South Wales - mid
  • Northern Ireland - high
  • Rest of the world...we are looking for partners on the ground

Good locations are either at the gateway to major destinations eg Kendal, close to large centres of population or close to major transport connections.

How does insurance work?

This bit is very important to get right and make sure you and the customer are properly covered. There are two options that we can advise:

Annual: We have arranged a group discount on a comprehensive package including:

  • Hirers Insurance to cover all rental driver for UK and EU travel. The policy also cover you and 3 named drivers when the vehicle is not on hire
  • Public Liability insurance
  • Breakdown cover for all hirers (UK only - EU additional £30)
  • Legal cover

The package cost around £1500 per year (a bit more for vehicle over £20k or within certain postcode eg London). We will give you the contact details of the broker when we've accepted your vehicle and you just need to say you are listing with us get the Quirky Campers package.  There is also the option to pay this monthly.

Daily : We also have a deal with a ‘pay as you go’ insurer. This currently costs £19 per day and can be bought on the day. It is less flexible (you'll need to charge for late return etc.) and it does not cover you so you need your own insurance!  It also does not include breakdown cover, public liability or legal.

Almost all campervans listed with us are better off with the annual option but the pay as you go policy is a way to get started with no outlay and no risk. The annual option can still be purchased at any time.

What do you need from me?

You are responsible for the following:

  • Providing a full shoot of professional quality photographs. We have a photography specification which you and the photographer must read before you head out.
  • Keeping your campervan well maintained, safe and legal
  • Sending us copies of V5, Gas Safe certificate and weighbridge readout
  • Cleaning your camper between bookings (customers are asked to return it clean, but some cleaning will always still be required) and doing handovers with customers
  • Adequate insurance and breakdown cover - we will provide the info you need for this

Can I name the vehicle anything I like?

No. Firstly the name must be unique on our system. This is because it is effectively the vehicle ID and used to identify the vehicle on the website and booking system. If there is already a Steve then it is not possible to list your vehicle as Steve.

Secondly we are also a bit picky so here are a few general rules we ask you try to keep in mind:

  • The names that work best are single word names of an actual person but one that is less common
  • The name is part of your brand so choose carefully
  • Avoid being inspired by the shape, colour or size of your vehicle
  • Please don't use puns - unless its ROFL funny!
  • Avoid adjectives
  • Do a quick google search of your chosen name to see what comes back.
  • No numbers or characters

Will you need to see my camper in the flesh?

Ideally yes as it's a great opportunity to meet you, talk through what is involved and get a real feel for your camper so we can do an even better job of selling it to our customers. However, where this is not feasible we can okay it based on the photos.

What paperwork do I need?

Before your first customer you will need to send us a copy of your V5 document showing that the vehicle is registered appropriately, a copy of your GasSafe certificate from the last 12 months (if applicable) and confirmation of the unladen weight of the vehicle. For more information on these two issues please read our blog on Gas Safe and Weight limits

What happens if my campervan gets damaged whilst on hire?

Vehicles do get bumped from time to time but it is rare - our customers are lovely and generally very careful. However should such an event occur the insurance will cover any damage. In addition, the customers pays a £500 security deposit to cover minor damage and they are responsible for up to £750 or the full insurance excess if that is higher (for certain drivers). The excess is usually £500 which allows up to £250 to cover additional costs incurred.

What happens if my campervan is returned late?

If a customer brings it back late they may be asked to pay an hourly fee which we use to refund the subsequent customers if their pick-up is delayed. Where possible we will be flexible to ensure customer satisfaction.

Can I continue to use my own van as much as I want?

Yes. We put no limit on owner use although we have to make it clear that your income will be greatly affected by how much you use it, particularly for peak season weekends. You can advertise your vehicle on your own site or FB page but we don't allow you list with other agencies. See 'Can I list with other agencies?' below.   

How many bookings will I get?

This is a difficult one and depends on your campervan, quality of your photos, your location and you. We aim to book a minimum of 70 nights for every campervan in the first 12 months, this will increase to 90 or more in subsequent years. Your responsiveness and usage can greatly impact on your overall income but good photos are the top factor!

Is it worth it?

You could expect to ‘take home’ between £3,500 and £10,000 per year depending on the camper and your usage (the top end of that would be for a very popular vehicle that wasn’t booked in summer by its owner). Our owners find that this covers all the costs of insurance, MOT, tax, repairs and maintenance, with some left over for the upgrades you’ve always fancied doing or a very special trip or three!

What extras do I need to provide?

As a minimum we ask you to provide bedding and a child seat (if appropriate) as an optional extra - anything else is up to you. We do not take a cut of the extras so feel free to use your creativity to meet customers’ needs and bring in some additional income.

How can I do the handovers if I work full time?

Many of our owners have ‘trained up’ a family member or friend to do their handovers and paid them a small fee. Alternatively, you could specify the handovers to only be on days you are available for instance Saturdays and Sundays.

What do you charge for this service?

There is no upfront fee and no annual cost. We take an 18%+VAT commission of any bookings that we get for you. 

Example: £100 of booking will be split:

  • £18.00 to Quirky Campers
  • £3.60 to the VAT man
  • £78.40 to the vehicle owner

We will cover all the payment and transaction costs within our cut and there are no payments or additional fees to the customer unlike elsewhere. We have always appreciated What You See Is What You Get pricing so wherever possible prices are advertised as all-inclusive with no hidden extras. Our customer really appreciate this.  

We take no commission on any extras you provide to the customer so there is no VAT to pay, you get 100% of the advertised price and we even cover the cost of the transaction.

Do I need to be be VAT registered or a Limited Company?

For VAT the answer is not unless you are turning over more than the VAT threshold (currently £85k).

For the LTD it will depend on your situation but in most cases it will make sense to just register as a sole trader (Self Employed)

How and when will I get paid?

We will transfer to you the balance of any completed bookings twice a month into your account (The middle and end of the month) . The balance is credited with your cut plus any extras.

Can I rent out my campervan to friends and family for free?

Yes (well nearly). You can use the Quirky Campers booking system to offer your campervan to family and friends for just 20p charge per booking. This satisfies a requirement for traceable payment by the insurers, collects all the right information from them and their drivers, send out emails confirming the booking and reminding them what to bring etc and blocks the dates on your calendar. For paid customer bookings which you have sourced yourself, you are welcome to use our booking system for a reduced cut of 9%+VAT. 

Can I list my vehicle with other agencies?

No. There are several reasons for this, firstly we tried this with a  few owners but quickly found that because we provide excellent customer support customers from other agencies will contact us with problems they are having. We also had too many occasion where owners made mistakes and double booked and we ended up having to cancel our customers which is damaging to our reputation. Another reason is that when you go live we invest in marketing your van in your location so we want to know we have a chance at getting this back.  

I've got more questions - where can I find help and advice?

Forum: There is a great Facebook group for people looking to buy or convert a campervan to list on Quirky Campers where you can find other people going through the same process as you.

  • Buying campervans
    • Quirky Campers regularly post recommendations of promising beautiful conversions we have found elsewhere on the web.
    • Other members will also give advice on what to buy
  • Converting a Campervan
    • Current owners of campervans listed on Quirky Campers are regular contributors to the group and can answer questions on converting a van and also on details of renting it out.
    • Many professional campervan converters are also group members and give detailed responses to questions

Join the Group for people Converting or Buying Campervans to Hire Facebook Group

Blogs: We also have some information about buying and converting on our blog (with more to come) which is here: Quirky Campers Blog

Email and phone: If all that doesn't cover it then give us a bell or drop us a line. David, Jamie and Lindsay have all converted their own campervans and between us have wealth of knowledge which we are very happy to share.

Further Reading: Over the next 6 weeks we are going to send you emails about the following:

  1. How much money will my campervan make?
  2. Which Campervans perform best?
  3. Which Agency should I list my campervan with?
  4. Joining the family - what it means
  5. Two hurdles everyone trips over (Gas and Weight)
  6. How to get bookings before you're finished

Can't wait? Jump the queue and read them now