Last updated: 05/2020

How do you select your campervans / What are the requirements?

We are looking for beautiful, unique, handmade conversions. Naturally this means that each one will be different but just being different isn't quite enough. To be a Quirky Campervan it needs to be well thought through, beautiful and finished to a high standard. If you have a conversion and are not sure have a look at our blog on quirkifying your campervan.

As a minimum, it will need:

  • Certificate of Fitness (CoF) – this replaces of the Warrant of Fitness (WoF) you’d have if your camper has only been for personal use and allows your campervan to rented be out
  • Gas Safety Certificate (GSC) and Warrant of Electrical Fitness (WoEF) where applicable – any plumbed in gas appliance (e.g. cooker, fridge) or electrical hook-up should be installed by a professional and the associated certificates assure their safety
  • Certified Self-Contained (CSC) – which means guests will avoid fines for illegal freedom camping, and means all Quirky Campers (in NZ) have:
    • Fresh water tanks(s) with enough capacity for three days (12 litres per person)
    • A sink (with a sealed connection to a wastewater tank)
    • Wastewater tank(s) with enough capacity for three days ( 12 litres per person)
    • A toilet (portable or fixed) with enough capacity for three days ( 3 litres per person) which can be used inside the campervan with the bed made up
    • A rubbish bin with a lid


Some special features you may want to consider to attract additional customers: more than 3 belted seats, beds for 4 adults, a baby/child’s bed, heating, shower, solar panels.

Unlike other agencies we want to ensure we maintain occupancy for all the campervans listed with us so you can be confident it will be worth your while. We are currently looking for owners all over New Zealand but over time may choose not to add new vehicles in locations where there are already enough owners, unless they are outstanding. Good locations are generally places close(ish) to an airport!

How does insurance work?

You simply need to continue any personal use cover you have in place and Quirky Campers NZ will provide premium cover (as standard) for your camper while hired out to guests. This means any accidental damage to inside and out plus all non-fixed personal effects belonging to the owner are fully covered (unlike other peer-to-peer campervan companies). We build this cost into the advertised rental fee so that we can offer an all-inclusive price to customers.

What do you charge for this service?

We offer an all-inclusive price to the customer and therefore we need to deduct an amount to cover the service provided by Quirky Campers NZ (website, marketing, transaction costs etc.) and also the insurance for your vehicle while it is hired out. Unlike other peer-to-peer campervan hire platforms who offer basic and premium insurance options to the customer, we build in premium insurance to give you peace of mind. The total deduction from the amount the customer pays is 33% and you get the rest. On the face of it appears higher than other companies offering a similar service but take a look at this example of 7 nights/8 days* rental in a campervan worth up to $30k**…

* Share-A-Camper (and many other rental companies) charge by the day but Quirky Campers charges by the night.

** Which includes vehicle, fixtures and fittings and non-fixed contents belonging to the campervan owner.

FOR CUSTOMER Share-A-Camper Quirky Campers NZ
Advertised daily rental charge (set by owner) $144 $215
Rental charge for 7 nights, 8 days $1,152 $1,505
Booking fee $101 Included
Premium insurance $252 Included
Total amount to Service Provider $526 $497
To Campervan Owner $979 $1,008

You can see that the customer is paying the same total price but you would receive a greater share. We have always preferred “what you see is what you get” pricing so wherever possible prices are advertised as all-inclusive with no hidden extras. Our customers really appreciate this.To put it another way, on the other peer-to-peer campervan rental platforms, you set the daily rate you want to receive - and this can vary wildly from van to van - there's no consistency because each owner is acting independently which makes it harder for customers to compare. When you look at our (advertised, all-inclusive, nightly) rates, it's clear to customers that if they pay more, they get more so the whole collection makes sense. We work with you to set a customer price together and while our commission seems higher the percentage you receive as a pay-out is applied to the whole customer booking value (after deducting the insurance cost). Basically, you get a lower percentage of a higher number so in real dollars you are better off!

What about Road User Charges (RUC)?

If you own a diesel vehicle, you’ll know all about Road User Charges – which contribute to the upkeep of roads in NZ and are generally purchased as “distance licences” in 1000km units. All you have to do is ensure that you have purchased a distance license with sufficient kilometres to cover the rental activity. We will calculate the RUC applicable to each hire once the guest(s) have returned the vehicle, and then deduct this from their security deposit and pass it on to you. We do this at the rate set by the New Zealand Transport Agency – there is no mark up or processing charge.

Do I need my own Transport Service Licence (TSL)?

No. Quirky Campers NZ has a TSL which covers your vehicle while listed for hire with us.

What do you need from me? You are responsible for the following:

  • Providing a full shoot of professional quality photographs; we have a photography specification which you and the photographer must read before you head out
  • Keeping your campervan well maintained, safe and legal
  • Sending us copies of your Vehicle License (Rego), Certificate of Fitness (CoF), Self-Containment Certificate, Gas and Electrical safety certificates and weighbridge readout
  • Cleaning your camper between bookings (customers are asked to return it clean, but some cleaning will always still be required) and doing handovers with customers
  • Adequate Road User Charges (distance licence kilometres) to cover the rental periods
  • Not forgetting you’ll still need insurance for your own personal use of the van

Can I name the vehicle anything I like?

No. Firstly the name must be unique on our system. This is because it is effectively the vehicle ID and used to identify the vehicle on the website and booking system. If there is already a Steve, then it is not possible to list your vehicle as Steve.

Secondly, we are also a bit picky so here are a few general rules we ask you try to keep in mind:

  • The names that work best are single word names of an actual person but one that is less common
  • The name is part of your brand so choose carefully
  • Avoid being inspired by the shape, colour or size of your vehicle
  • Please don't use puns - unless its ROFL funny!
  • Avoid adjectives
  • Do a quick google search of your chosen name to see what comes back.
  • No numbers or characters

Will you need to see my camper in the flesh?

Ideally yes as it's a great opportunity to meet you, talk through what is involved and get a real feel for your camper so we can do an even better job of selling it to our customers. However, where this is not feasible, we can okay it based on the photos.

What paperwork do I need?

Before your first customer you will need to send us a copy of your Rego showing that the vehicle is registered appropriately, a copy of your CoF, Self-Containment Certificate, the Gas Safety Certificate and Warrant of Electrical Fitness (where applicable) and confirmation of the unladen weight of the vehicle. It’s not as scary as it sounds, and we can provide guidance on these.

What happens if my campervan gets damaged whilst on hire?

Vehicles do get bumped from time to time but it is relatively rare - our customers are lovely and generally very careful. However, should such an event occur the insurance will cover any damage. In addition, the customers pay a security deposit to cover minor damage and would also cover the insurance excess in the event of a claim.

What happens if my campervan is returned late?

If a customer brings it back late, they may be asked to pay an hourly fee which we use to refund the subsequent customers if their pick-up is delayed. Where possible we will be flexible to ensure customer satisfaction.

Can I continue to use my own van as much as I want?

Yes. We put no limit on owner use although we have to make it clear that your income will be greatly affected by how much you use it, particularly for peak season weekends. You can advertise your vehicle on your own site or FB page, but not with other agencies (in the long term). See 'Can I list with other agencies?' below.

How many bookings will I get?

This is a difficult one and depends on your campervan, quality of your photos, your location and you. We aim to book a minimum of 70 days for every campervan in the first 12 months, this will increase anywhere up to 150 days in subsequent years. Your responsiveness and usage can greatly impact on your overall income, but good photos are the top factor!

Is it worth it?

You could expect to ‘take home’ between $8k and $21k per year depending on the camper and your usage (the top end of that would be for a very popular vehicle that wasn’t booked in summer by its owner). Our owners find that this covers all the costs of rego, insurance, CoF, repairs and maintenance, with some left over for the upgrades you’ve always fancied doing or a very special trip or three!

What extras do I need to provide?

As a minimum we ask you to provide bedding and towels as an optional extra - anything else is up to you so get creative!

How can I do the handovers if I work full time?

Many of our owners have ‘trained up’ a family member or friend to do their handovers and pay them a small fee. Alternatively, you could specify the handovers to only be on days you are available for instance Saturdays and Sundays. However, these sorts of restriction will impact your income

Do I need to be GST registered or a Limited Company?

For GST the answer is not unless you are turning over more than the GST threshold (currently $60k).

For the Ltd it will depend on your situation but in most cases, it will make sense to just register as a sole trader (Self Employed). Please consult an Accountant on this matter and/or guidance from the IRD.

How and when will I get paid?

We will transfer to you the balance of your account at the end of each month. Most customers make final payment 4 or more weeks before pick-up, your balance is then credited with your cut plus any extras. In practice over half of your bookings will be paid in advance of the start of the booking and the rest will usually be within 2 weeks although for short notice bookings this could be up to 1 month after the start of the booking.

Can I rent out my campervan to friends and family for free?

If you want to use the Quirky Campers booking system to offer your campervan to family and friends, it will cost $40/day. This essentially covers the payment to the insurers and collects all the right information from them and their drivers, send out emails confirming the booking and reminding them what to bring etc. and blocks the dates on your calendar. For paid customer bookings which you have sourced yourself, you are welcome to use our booking system for a reduced cut of 25%.

Can I list my vehicle with other agencies?

Ultimately, we are keen for Quirky Camper owners to list exclusively with us to avoid any conflict, mistakes and double bookings with other companies, but we can be flexible up front... especially so you can honour existing bookings. So, in the short-term we are happy to dual list but ask that you work with us to list your vehicle at the same “fully loaded” price to the customer. If you have any concerns about dual- or exclusive listing with Quirky Campers NZ – please reach out to us for a chat.

I've got more questions - where can I find help and advice?

Drop us a line! Leanne and Dan have converted their own campervan and are very happy to share their knowledge and experience with you.