NEW OWNER FAQs (June 2023)

Thanks for your interest in joining the Quirky family, hiring out a vehicle through our platform. Here are answers to the most common questions…

How do you select your campervans? What are the requirements?

We are looking for beautiful, unique, handmade conversions. Naturally this means that each one will be different but just being different isn't quite enough. To be a Quirky Campervan it needs to be well thought through, beautiful and finished to a high standard. If you have a conversion and are not sure have a look at our blog on quirkifying your campervan.

As a minimum, it will need:

  1. Certified Self-Contained (CSC) – which means guests will avoid fines for illegal freedom camping, and means all Quirky Campers (in NZ) have:
    • Fresh water tanks(s) with enough capacity for three days (≥ 12 litres per person)
    • A sink (with a sealed connection to a wastewater tank)
    • Wastewater tank(s) with enough capacity for three days (≥ 12 litres per person)
    • A toilet (portable or fixed) with enough capacity for three days (≥ 3 litres per person) which can be used inside the campervan with the bed made up
    • A rubbish bin with a lid

Note: we appreciate that the rules around certified self-containment have changed but our current minimum requirements remain as those defined by the “blue sticker” until the one for your vehicle expires or approx. May 2025 when the transition period ends. Of course, if your vehicle meets the new requirements (eligible for a “green sticker”) that’s fine too!

  1. Certificate of Fitness (CoF)– this replaces of the Warrant of Fitness (WoF) you’d have if your camper has only been for personal use and allows your campervan to rented be out
  2. Beautiful photos – to make the most of your vans features and style… and sell the dream! We know how important great photos are to your success so (until further notice) we are happy to do a photo shoot of your van, free of charge.

And where applicable (only):

  1. Gas Safety Certificate (GSC) – for any permanently plumbed-in gas appliance (e.g. cooker, fridge)
  2. Warrant of Electrical Fitness (WoEF) - for an electrical hook-up and/or permanently created 240v circuit.


Some special features you may want to consider to attract additional customers: more than 3 belted seats, a baby/child’s bed, shower (inside or outside), tv or projector and screen, awning with or without tent, bike rack and roof rack. If you want to increase bookings in the cooler months a source of heating is also recommended. This can be anything from a hottie to a plug-in electric fan heater all the way up to a fitted diesel heater.

Unlike other agencies we want to ensure we maintain occupancy for all the campervans listed with us so you can be confident it will be worth your while. We are currently looking for owners all over New Zealand but over time may choose not to add new vehicles in locations where there are already enough owners, unless they are outstanding. Good locations are generally places close(ish) to an airport! It also helps if you are able to bring your van to a convenient location for pick-up (usually for an additional cost).

How does insurance work?

We advise that you continue any personal use cover you have in place and Quirky Campers NZ will provide premium cover (as standard) for your camper while hired out to guests. This means any accidental damage to inside and out plus all non-fixed personal effects belonging to the owner are fully covered (unlike other peer-to-peer campervan companies). We build this cost into the advertised rental fee so that we can offer an all-inclusive price to customers. Note: our insurance does not cover loss of income as a result of your vehicle being unavailable for booking(s) due to damage.

What do you charge for this service?

We offer an all-inclusive price to the customer and therefore we need to deduct an amount to cover the service provided by Quirky Campers NZ (website, marketing, transaction costs etc.) and also the insurance for your vehicle while it is hired out. Unlike other campervan hire companies who offer basic and premium insurance options to the customer, we build in premium insurance to give you peace of mind.

The total deduction from the amount the customer pays is 33% and you get the rest. We know that sounds a lot but read on!

There’s now really only one other peer-to-peer campervan rental platform in New Zealand – Camplify – who bought out Share-A-Camper and Mighway in recent years. There are fundamental differences to the way we calculate the amount paid out to van owners so it’s virtually impossible to compare like-for-like. But when you dig a little deeper into the calculations like we have there’s not that much difference in the amount paid to an owner for each trip. And we believe we offer our owners much better support and most importantly… more bookings! Evidence suggests twice as many bookings!

In a nutshell, Quirky Campers NZ:

  • Offers better utilisation as we’re selective on what and where we list (less competition = more bookings)
  • Offers better insurance for your vehicle (peace of mind)
  • Has better reviews (more trusted = more bookings!)
  • Only charges fees on actual bookings (no monthly or annual subscription fees)
  • Is NZ-owned and operated
  • Puts their van owners first

Do you offer a management service?

Only short-term and by exception! All van owners (or friend/family member) need to look after their own vans at their location, managing the preparation of the van and handovers to hiring customers. We don’t offer an ongoing management service for this. However, if an owner is going away on holiday, for example, we are happy to manage vans (at Quirky HQ in Titirangi, Auckland) for up to 6 weeks and we charge a flat fee for $150 per booking (on top of the usual deductions).

What about Road User Charges (RUC)?

If you own a diesel vehicle, you’ll know all about Road User Charges – which contribute to the upkeep of roads in NZ and are generally purchased as “distance licences” in 1000km units. All you have to do is ensure that you have purchased a distance license with sufficient kilometres to cover the rental activity. We will calculate the RUC applicable to each hire once the guest(s) have returned the vehicle, charge the customer and then pass it on to you. We do this at the rate set by the New Zealand Transport Agency – there is no mark up or processing charge.

Do I need my own Transport Service Licence (TSL)?

No. Quirky Campers NZ has a TSL which covers your vehicle while listed for hire with us.

What do you need from me? You are responsible for the following:

  • Keeping your campervan well maintained, safe and legal
  • Sending us copies of your Vehicle License (Rego), Certificate of Fitness (CoF), Self-Containment Certificate and (only) if applicable, Gas and Electrical safety certificates
  • Cleaning your camper between bookings (customers are asked to return it clean, but some cleaning will always still be required) and doing handovers with customers
  • Maintaining adequate Road User Charges (distance licence kilometres) to cover the rental periods (for diesel vehicles only)
  • Having (a) spare key(s) for your vehicle in the event a set are lost or damaged

Can I name the vehicle anything I like?

Within reason! The name must be unique on our system to avoid any confusion. So if there is already a Steve, then it is not possible to list your vehicle as Steve.

Secondly, we are a bit picky so here are a few general rules we ask you try to keep in mind:

  • The names that work best are single word names of an actual person
  • The name is part of your brand so choose carefully
  • Avoid being inspired by the shape, colour or size of your vehicle
  • Please don't use puns - unless it’s super funny!
  • Avoid adjectives
  • Do a quick Google search of your chosen name to see what comes back
  • No numbers or characters

Will you need to see my camper in the flesh?

Ideally yes as it's a great opportunity to meet you, talk through what is involved and get a real feel for your camper so we can do an even better job of selling it to our customers. However, where this is not feasible, we can okay it based on the photos.

What paperwork do I need?

Before your first customer you will need to send us a copy of your Rego showing that the vehicle is registered appropriately, a copy of your CoF, Self-Containment Certificate, and if applicable the Gas Safety Certificate and Warrant of Electrical Fitness. It’s not as scary as it sounds, and we can provide guidance on these.

Are customers careful?

Our customers are lovely and generally very careful. We provide guidance to them on many aspects of campervan hire to minimise damage/loss and issue GPS trackers to all van owners (you just pay for or carry out the installation but we pay for the unit and ongoing subscription). The primary purpose is to help track down the vehicle if it stolen or to alert us in the event of an accident. Driver behaviour will only be an issue if there are repeated alerts for excess speeding or harsh braking and/or a van enters a zone with unsealed roads (all of which could be damaging your vehicle or increase the risk of an accident). Ultimately, they encourage good driving which is beneficial for everyone!

What happens if my campervan gets damaged whilst on hire?

Vehicles do get bumped from time to time but it is relatively rare - However, should such an event occur – beyond general wear and tear - the repair costs are covered. Customers pay a security deposit to cover minor damage and for anything more serious this bond would also contribute to the insurance excess in the event of a claim.

The only exception to our fleet insurance policy is glass… chipped or cracked windscreens. So, we have the following policy in place:

  • If the van is out on hire and suffers a windscreen chip that can be (and is) filled while on its trip - Quirky will cover the costs (generally around $100)
  • If the van is out on hire and has a windscreen crack that means it needs to be replaced (whether during or after the trip) - the costs are split three ways equally; a third each to hirer, van owner and Quirky (approx. $250 - $800 each depending on the vehicle)
  • If the van is out on hire and we are notified by the GPS tracker that the vehicle has been driven on a listed (forbidden) unsealed road then all bets are off and the customer pays for any windscreen damage regardless of when or where it happened!

The idea with this approach is to encourage hirers to act promptly and address a chip - with no cost to them - before it could become a crack and need a windscreen replacement which they would then need to contribute to. And in the case of a replacement, it shares the costs across all parties which seems fair.

Needless to say, we expect any chips or cracks that occur during your own van use to be covered under your own personal policy :)

Can I continue to use my own van as much as I want?

Yes. We put no limit on owner use although we have to make it clear that your income will be greatly affected by how much you use it, particularly between October and March.

How many bookings will I get?

This is a difficult one and depends on your campervan, quality of your photos, your location and you. We aim to book a minimum of 70 days for every campervan in the first 12 months, this will increase anywhere up to 150 days in subsequent years. Your responsiveness and usage can greatly impact on your overall income, but good photos are the top factor!

Is it worth it?

You could expect to ‘take home’ between $12k and $32k per year depending on the camper and your usage (the top end of that would be for a very popular vehicle that wasn’t booked in summer by its owner). Our owners find that this covers all the costs of rego, insurance, CoF, repairs and maintenance, with some left over for the upgrades you’ve always fancied doing or a very special trip or three!

What extras do I need to provide?

We provide a list of recommended basics to provide (pantry items, cleaning supplies, first aid kit, fire extinguisher or fire blanket etc.) and as a minimum we ask you to provide bedding and towels as optional extras - anything else is up to you so get creative! Popular items include awning tents, bike racks, stand-up paddleboards and fishing rods… and these are commission-free.

How can I do the handovers if I work full time?

Many of our owners have ‘trained up’ a family member or friend to do their handovers and pay them a small fee. Alternatively, you could specify the handovers to only be on days you are available for instance Saturdays and Sundays. However, these sorts of restriction will impact your income.

Do I need to be GST registered or a Limited Company?

For GST the answer is not unless you are turning over more than the GST threshold (currently $60k).

For the Ltd it will depend on your situation but in most cases, it will make sense to just register as a sole trader (Self Employed) or declare the additional income as part of your tax return. Please consult an Accountant on this matter and/or guidance from the IRD.

How and when will I get paid?

We aim to process all pay-outs within 7 days of the trip end.

Can I rent out my campervan to friends and family for free?

If you want to use the Quirky Campers booking system to offer your campervan to family and friends, then we can set up a unique discount code (or two). At minimum (a high discount level) the amount paid would cover the insurance only with no payment to you… alternatively you can set a lower discount rate to cover both the insurance cost and provide you some income. Using either approach has the benefit of collecting all the right information about the driver(s), sending out emails confirming the booking and reminding them what to bring etc. and blocks the dates on your calendar. It also creates some formality which can be useful if there are any issues! For paid customer bookings which you have sourced yourself, you are welcome to use our booking system for a reduced deduction of 25% (as opposed to 33%).

Can I list my vehicle with other agencies?

Ultimately, we are keen for Quirky Camper owners to list exclusively with us to avoid any conflict, mistakes and double bookings, but we can be flexible up front... especially so you can honour existing bookings. So, in the short-term we are happy to dual list but ask that you work with us to list your vehicle at the same “fully loaded” price to the customer. If you have any concerns about dual- or exclusive listing with Quirky Campers NZ – please reach out to us for a chat.

I've got more questions - where can I find help and advice?

Drop us a line! Leanne and Dan have converted their own campervans (including some in the collection for hire) and are very happy to share their knowledge and experience with you.